Sustainable Development GoalsSDG 13. CLIMATE CHANGE
Working to solve our climate crisis is the most critical mission of our time and the most exciting problem to be working on in tech. If you are a data-scientist who wants to have a real impact, join our talented, passionate team.
Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages. We’re a seed-stage startup backed by top climate tech investors, including Pale Blue Dot, Powerhouse Ventures, Techstars, and Futuristic VC. With a dozen paying clients (e.g. Red Eléctrica de España and a Finnish utility Suur-Savon Sähkö), we have already proven our business model, and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale this model up to help humanity and the planet.
About our team
We’re a group of 18 people from all over the world (Netherlands, Portugal, Indonesia, Italy, US, France, Colombia) based in the Netherlands (HQ) and the US. We’re a Seed-stage startup, backed by top climate tech investors including: Pale Blue Dot, Powerhouse Ventures, Techstars, MCJ Collective and Futuristic VC. We’re all united behind a big vision to help humanity and the planet.
About the role
For this role, we are looking for a driven and pragmatic Senior Data Scientist. Exploring imagery sets, training and validating models, and rolling them out to a scalable service is your comfort zone. In addition, you will have responsibility over your own projects and work, but also like to work collaboratively in a team. Whether it is about forest damage detection, objects in cities or biodiversity monitoring, you are up for the challenge!
- You have working experience as a machine learning engineer, for at least 3 years.
- You have an education in Computer Science, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence, Data Science or have equivalent experience.
- You have advanced Python experience (including PyTorch, Tensorflow …)
- Preferably, you have worked with satellite data and/or imagery.
- You are creative and curious
- You are pragmatic, you know when a simple solution is sufficient or when new model development is required
- You work thoroughly, others do not have to check your work
- Teamwork is at your core, and you like to help others succeed
- You are excited and eligible to work in Amsterdam
- You understand that sustainability means valuing work-life balance too 🙂
Benefits of working at Overstory
- To be a part of truly mission-driven work that reduces forest fires, protects earth’s natural resources and reverses climate change.
- Stock options and competitive salary.
- Other benefits like remote working budget, educational budget and time to develop skills relevant to tackling the climate crisis.
- To be surrounded by an awesome, vibrant, smart team who have each other’s back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion with regards to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem. We want our team to feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and to sharing their most creative (and sometimes crazy!) ideas.