Experience3 - 5 years
Sustainable Development GoalsSDG 3. GOOD HEALTH & WELL BEING
Cyclica is the partner of choice for data-driven drug discovery. We advance molecules that embrace the complexity of disease. Our work spans dozens of collaborations with large pharma and biotech as well as 50 joint ventures and counting. We are a passionate team of biotech and pharma professionals, biologists, chemists, and computer scientists who live and labor at the intersection of our collective expertise. For more information about our company, please visit: www.cyclicarx.com.
Why work at Cyclica?
Cyclica owes its success to its team of highly motivated and talented individuals. We pride ourselves on enabling our employees to succeed by fostering their skills, interests, and creativity. Our people and culture are important to us, that’s why we offer a wide range of benefits to support our team members:
- Work from Anywhere
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Unlimited Wellness Days
- Paid Vacation Days
- Employee Stock Options
- Health and Dental Benefits
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Parental Leave Top-Up Plan
The Finance Manager will report to the Chief Financial Officer (“CFO”) while also working directly with leadership and directors from other departments. The Finance Manager will be responsible for overseeing the day to day accounting and finance function and providing accurate and timely financial information. Key responsibilities will include managing the organization’s full cycle accounting operations and monthly financial reporting process, including preparing financial statements and reports and supporting documentation and reconciliations. They will be responsible for supporting the development and maintenance of corporate accounting policies, internal control development, and remediation. They will also liaise with our external services providers (accounting firms, SR&ED consultant, banks, payroll service provider, etc.) as required.
**Please note we are open to both full-time and part-time work arrangements for this role**
What will you be doing?
- Identify and propose process improvements and opportunities for automation to streamline or eliminate repetitive or non-value added tasks
- Process accounts payable, ensuring adherence to purchasing policy approval matrix
- Prepare purchase orders (POs) as required and in compliance with purchasing policy
- Review and identify opportunities for vendor and procurement optimization
- Process employee expense reports, ensuring compliance with expense policy, and accurately code expenses and sales taxes based on local regulations
- Process and accurately code corporate card expenses; identify opportunities for consolidation and streamlining of corporate card expenses
- Prepare weekly cash disbursements listing and setup associated payments (EFTs, wire transfers, bill payments, ACH, etc.)
- Prepare sales invoices based on licensing agreements and milestone payments
- Monitor bank balances to ensure timely processing of transactions and no unusual activity
- Update weekly cash flow forecast and proactively identify any necessary intercompany and foreign currency transfers
- Review payroll report and input associated journal entries
- Prepare and remit WSIB and EHT calculations
- Post manual journal entries such as depreciation, share-based compensation expense, interest income and expense accruals, amortization of prepaid expenses, expense accruals, and intercompany transfer pricing entries
- Prepare balance sheet reconciliations (bank, AR, prepaids, AP, accruals, etc.) on monthly basis
- Prepare consolidated financial statements and budget vs. actual management reports including associated commentary on monthly basis
- Close month-end accounting records based on T+10 schedule
- Prepare quarterly management discussion and analysis and financial statements package for board and major shareholders
- Support annual budget process, including loading of finalized budget into accounting information system
- Prepare and submit annual payroll-related filings such as EHT, WSIB, and T4
- Assist with any special projects or ad-hoc requests from the CFO or senior management team
- Ensure quality financial information and data accuracy is used by the business for decision-making and that potential risks and opportunities are anticipated and understood
- Ensure adherence to ASPE accounting standards and disclosure requirements, including preparation of accounting technical memos, as required
- Correspond with external service providers such as accounting firms, SR&ED consultants, payroll service providers, and banks as required
- Ensure compliance with local, provincial, state, and federal tax and statutory reporting requirements and filings, including GST/HST, payroll taxes, income taxes, etc.
- Work with the CFO on the identification and assessment of key financial controls and their remediation of any identified control deficiencies or best practice recommendations
- Bachelor degree in business administration, accounting, or finance
- Accounting designation: CPA, CGA, CMA, CA
- Experience with small to medium-sized accounting software or ERP packages (e.g. QuickBooks, SAGE, Microsoft Dynamics)
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets (i.e. pivot tables, lookup formulas, what-if analysis, etc.)
- Strong technical knowledge of ASPE or IFRS with exposure to writing accounting memos
- Experience with high-growth and ambiguous business environments where there are opportunities for process improvement
- 3 to 5 years of hands-on full cycle accounting experience (i.e. payables processing, invoicing, payments, treasury management, month-end close, etc.)
Nice to Haves
- Experience with project accounting principles, including billing and costing of services
- Knowledge of or interest in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, software and professional services, artificial intelligence (AI), or machine learning (ML)
- Experience with multinational and multi-entity businesses, partial ownership interests, and joint ventures
- Exposure to accounting for government grants, subsidies, and tax credits as well as any governmental reporting requirements
- Exposure to transfer pricing and tax planning concepts and strategies
Cyclica is committed to our people and strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by provincial and/or federal law.
Accommodations for candidates with disabilities are available on request during all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. If accommodation is needed during the recruitment and selection process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.