Experience3 5 Years
Sustainable Development GoalsSDG 3. GOOD HEALTH & WELL BEING
Owkin was co-founded in 2016 by Thomas Clozel, MD, a clinical research doctor and former assistant professor in clinical hematology, and by Gilles Wainrib, PhD, an academic pioneer in the field of Artificial Intelligence in biology. The company was built on the belief that medical research should be collaborative, inclusive, and privacy-preserving. Today, Owkin is building a global research network — using federated learning — connecting data scientists, clinicians, researchers, and pharma on a research platform that keeps the data secure and preserves privacy. Owkin’s work has been published in Nature Medicine and other top-tier journals. Owkin has raised over $74M from leading VC funds and is now working with the largest cancer centers and pharmaceutical companies in Europe and in the US.
Our data scientists are among the best in the world, with several Kaggle Masters, DREAM Challenge top performers, and publications in ICML, NIPS and other top scientific journals. Owkin is backed by renowned investors — such as F-Prime Capital & Eight Roads Ventures, GV, BPI, Cathay Innovation, Frst and NJF Capital — as well as a distinguished scientific board. To build this vision, Owkin is growing rapidly, with offices located in the USA, France, UK and Switzerland.
Owkin is seeking a software engineer with a strong devops philosophy to join our fast-growing and dynamic team in France – Paris or Nantes.
About the role
As a Software Engineer, you will have the opportunity to build a secure application for collaborative federated machine learning. This product enhances the collaboration between data experts (e.g., medical expert, data engineer) and data scientists across multiple data centers.
More precisely, it makes it possible to annotate, prepare and visualise data to be used to build a machine learning model. It also enables the training of a machine learning model across multiple data centers storing highly sensitive data (federated learning).
You’ll work in a team of software engineers in close collaboration with the tech lead of the team. You will actively contribute to the technical design and implementation of the application mainly in Python and Go.
In particular, you will:
- Collaborate with a team to design and implement the platform.
- Develop and maintain the secure platform.
- Improve the modularity and the performance of our solution
- Improve the observability of the stack and increase it’s resiliency.
The position can be located in our Nantes or Paris-based offices or be a remote position within France.
We are looking for someone with:
- At least 3 years of experience as a software engineer
- Strong experience with Python and/or Go
- Strong experience with containerisation
- Experience with kubernetes
- Knowledge of network and security
- Strong team spirit
- Proficiency in English
- Highly organized and meticulous about details
- Understanding of Machine Learning Principles
- Bonus: Distributed systems knowledge
What we offer
- Competitive salary and equity;
- Opportunity to work with an international team with high technical and scientific backgrounds;
- Friendly and informal working environment;
- Flexible work organization and access to remote work;
- 7 weeks of paid vacation per year (depending on where you are based);
- Beautiful and well positioned offices in Paris (Petites Ecuries), London (Holborn), Nantes (historic Center) and NYC (Union Square) with numerous and various team activities and events.