Experience> 10 years
Sustainable Development GoalsSDG 3. GOOD HEALTH & WELL BEING
Verge Genomics is seeking a talented Chief Scientific Officer who will be responsible for defining Verge’s R&D strategy and leading its transition from a pre-clinical to clinical-stage drug development organization. You will work with scientific leaders to implement that strategy tactically to deliver multiple clinical programs from a novel human genomics platform. You will play a key role in communicating the company’s science into understandable concepts for investors, partners, scientific leaders, and other stakeholders. You will be a leader that motivates employees to execute on our mission and nurtures the development of scientific talent into world class drug developers. Additionally, you will build from the ground up new functions in the R&D organization needed to support drug development, including a translational medicine and clinical team. We are looking for a drug hunter and strategic leader who is a champion of next-generation, genomics-driven approaches to drug development.
Help us revolutionize the way drugs are discovered & developed:
Currently, it takes on average 12 years and $2.6 billion to get a single drug to market, with the drug discovery and development process costing $1.4 billion. Verge Genomics has raised $51 million in venture capital to change this broken model by fueling the drug discovery pipeline with machine learning.
Verge Genomics is a next-generation biopharmaceutical start-up using human genomics to accelerate development of life-saving treatments for neurodegenerative diseases. Our platform uses patient tissue profiling, human genetics, and machine learning to identify new therapeutic gene targets, predict effective drugs, and stratify patient subpopulations for increased clinical success. Verge’s approach offers a breakthrough opportunity to identify drugs that dramatically improve patient outcomes and fundamentally lower the cost curve of pharmaceutical development.
We are looking for extraordinary individuals to join our motivated team in taking on our generation’s biggest healthcare challenges: Alzheimer’s Disease, ALS, and Parkinson’s Disease. Our employees are our most important asset; we are a team of founders, excited to learn, roll up our sleeves, and make a real impact.
• Define an overall R&D strategy that clearly ties scientific strategy with business value, then oversee activities needed for its tactical implementation
• Set the operational plan, including hiring plan, timeline, forecasts, and budget, needed to execute on the R&D strategy
• Drive basic research towards the clinic, executing on aggressive timelines and limited resources
• Deliver high quality clinical data for our lead ALS program
• Advance multiple candidates from research to clinical development
• Build out new functions in the R&D organization needed to facilitate Verge’s transition from a preclinical to clinical-stage drug development organization, including recruiting a top tier translational medicine team
• Serve as chief spokesperson for Verge’s science and strategy, translating the company science into understandable concepts for diverse audiences, ranging from funding, industry, and clinical development partners to highly technical internal scientists and advisors
• Nurture development of scientific talent into world class drug developers and strategic leaders
• Identify and advances new technologies that position Verge as an industry leader
What we’re looking for:
• PhD in Neuroscience, Biology or Chemistry with 10+ years of industry experience
• Strong track record of preclinical/basic science research in neuroscience or neurobiology
• Significant drug development experience and track record of success leading multiple programs from discovery to clinical development
• Experience leading a high-performing division or functional group (e.g. discovery biology or chemistry teams)
• Experience presenting to diverse audiences, including investors, business development partners, clinical development partners, and/or scientific KOLs
• Experience using innovative technologies (e.g. enabling platforms or modalities) to advance novel drug candidates
• Appreciation for the design, organization and execution of a successful clinical approach and working knowledge of regulatory, commercial, and business aspects of the biotech industry
• A leader of leaders who is passionate about mentorship, culture, and nurturing the development of scientific talent
While the team is currently working from home (WFH), our hope is that you will be open to joining us in person in our South San Francisco office/lab space in the future.
The startup nature of Verge Genomics provides multiple growth opportunities into other areas of the company. As one of the early employees at Verge, your work will have a direct impact on the foundation of a groundbreaking new drug development model. In addition to competitive compensation and benefits, we offer perks like unlimited vacation/sick days and on-site gym access.
Verge actively seeks a diverse applicant pool in order to build the strongest possible workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.