CategorySDG 11. SUSTAINABLE CITIES & COMMUNITIESSDG 15. LIFE ON LAND
Experience3 - 5 years
About Interstellar Lab
At Interstellar Lab, our goal is to build a future full of life on Earth and beyond.
Becoming a multi-planetary species is one of the most exciting future we can dream of for humanity. But for us, it makes sense only if we figure out how to live in a sustainable, closed-loop and regenerative way. On this planet before others.
Our solution is to develop and build regenerative closed-loop villages on Earth before heading to the Moon and Mars. Our durable and modular habitat combines an integrated food production, water and waste systems to support human life in any environment. Each village is designed as a station with several sealed modules, all environmentally-controlled and monitored thanks to our prediction and simulation software.
A framework for sustainable living on Earth, a testbed for space manned-mission.
Job Description and key responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Product lead (CEO) and the AI architect, and in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary team composed of plant scientists, software engineers, aerospace engineers, mechanical engineer, architects and material scientists, you will research and develop innovative intelligent algorithms to autonomize every aspects of tomorrow’s bioregenerative habitats for Earth & Mars. With your hacker mentality, you can understand, adapt and tackle intelligence at all stack level of our habitats, from the lower level adaptative control, to crop selection and scheduling, to higher level station monitoring and predictive maintenance. You are not afraid by the word optimisation and you are a software product lover who is ready to deliver value along our product’s journey to Mars.
More precisely, you will:
- Improve our crop selection and scheduling algorithm/product for the stations.
- Improve, develop and deploy cutting edge machine learning algorithms for system automation and control based on sensor data.
- Develop computer vision solutions for predictive maintenance of the dome and for monitoring crop health.
- Investigate and develop algorithm for future indoor farming robots’ technologies.
- Constantly keep track of the last advances in AI (articles, blogposts, conferences…).
- Help to document and communicate the AI vision and ethics of the company (cf. AI safety).
- Contribute to applied research paper in conferences in our domain of expertise.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or relative technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Good experience in software design with python, from research to product, or a more general-purpose language like Go, MATLAB, C/C++.
- Experience and good mathematical understanding of:
- machine learning algorithms (cf. scikit-learn).
- deep learning models for computer vision, voice recognition and control, and time series data (cf. torchvision/torchaudio)
- reinforcement learning algorithms (cf. stable baselines).
- combinatorial optimisation algorithms.
- Full professional proficiency in English. French is optional.
- MS degree or PHD in Computer science, Robotics, Mathematics, Physics, Computational Neurosciences or Robotics.
- 2 years+ experience in designing, developing and deploying deep learning, reinforcement learning or innovative machine learning models.
- Experience in applying AI to combinatorial problems.
- We would love to see experience with AI applied to robotics and mechatronics.
- We would love to see experience with AI applied to sensor data and system automation.
- Passionate and curious about space technologies, green technologies, artificial intelligence and/or neurosciences.
- Deep drive for solving tomorrow’s humanity challenges.
- Strong learning capacity, adaptation and communication skills.
- Emotional intelligence with empathy.
- Pedagogical and willing to share knowledge with other fields.
Interstellar is an an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or additional need that requires accommodation, please do not hesitate to let us know.